Thursday, February 23, 2012

Grumpy


Blog 6 (23/02)

This blog is a difficult one for me to write as I have had much enjoyment this past week but I also received the moving news of the passing of my grandfather.

Grumpy- as he had most of his grandchildren call him- was a Godly man of generosity, faithfulness, wisdom, humility and hard work. I have much admiration for such attributes and thus I respect Grumpy immensely. His stern but never unreasonable persona appeared to be overtaken by a more jovial and mischievous one, as he and I grew older but not before he had given me, without effort, reason to be reverential of him.

Synonymous with the sound of jingling coins or crunching Rice Crispies, Grumpy is a man who will surely be missed by more than just his family and friends. I will certainly miss being described as “civil” by him after just the smallest favour and having my at times bushy eyebrows compared to his!

He and my Grandma are sponsoring a considerable amount to my eight months away and I will not forget such generosity. Thank you Grandma and Grumpy for affording me the opportunity to serve the Lord in West Africa aboard Africa Mercy.

Thank you for your lessons that you taught me by your example, Grumpy. I will see you again.





Following my last bog, I delivered a French letter to Komla. He had left the hospital that day. I was able to leave the letter in his portfolio so that he would receive it when he comes for a scheduled appointment. I have since been told that a young patient, an 8 year old boy who is likely to be aboard for more than 10 days, is needing ‘befriending’. I will meet him on the 28 of Feb!

I was offered a cabin upgrade this week. From my six berth to a 4 berth. It’s the idea of portholes that grabbed me most. The room is essentially the same except the last cubicle contains a lounge instead of bunks. I will, unfortunately, almost certainly be on the top bunk. I am likely to move in next month sometime.

As I mentioned last week, I spent a night in Kpalime this weekend. I went with a colleague Emma, Julie (a nurse) and Josh (dining room service). It seems to be the most popular up-country tourist destination, which is great since it is only about a two-hour bus trip. The police pulled our taxi over about half way there and no one could speak English and explain why. About ten minutes later we were going again and I understood that the driver had paid a 2$ bribe, for what reason I couldn’t comprehend.

We walked around the town that afternoon, deciding to go hiking the next day. I found a pretty good man united away shirt and pants and ate some spicy street meat! We investigated a large, open church and I even found a “Bafana Bafana Hotel”. Unfortunately we didn’t have time for the waterfalls, which are a definite attraction (I’m sure I will return).

We then came south to an YWAM (Youth with a mission) base that hosted us for the night. We walked around that afternoon finding fruit on trees and a dilapidated outdoor Catholic church. It was sad how unused it looked but nevertheless beautiful. We ran back to the 120-year-old wooden house as it began to pour down- the first rains I have experience here. The storm resulted in the power going off. I was worried about being short of water so I left my bottle on the floor outside to catch the rain. We ate fish and sweet-potato chips with a spicy onion sauce for dinner. Very satisfying. We then played many card games before going to bed later than we would have liked!

The next day we had some fresh mango and pineapple (which we bought at the market the previous day) as well as Granola bars. I could not find my Mercy Ship water bottle. I was told that the dog had probably taken it, however, after looking around we could not find it. We set out for the hike along an initially rather indiscernible path, me praying for my bottle’s safe return. We passed through two villages on the way and in both since it as a Sunday morning we could hear beautiful worship! It was a privilege to experience.

Trying to navigate our way out of the second, we attracted the laughter of many young boys. Apparently we were heading to the bucket toilet dump.

When we arrived at the top of Mount Agou we could not see too much. On a clear day we would have been able to see neighbouring Ghana! We had a snack break at the top and about an hour later we were back at the house. My bottle, somewhat scratched but otherwise perfect, welcomed me!

We got a lift to a small town on the highway to Lome. We were so blessed to have a private taxi lift us back for the same price as our lift there (4$)! It even had electric windows! Our driver had probably taken someone there and we were a bonus. So he spoilt himself and his family with 16$ worth of rodent! I’m still not sure what it is but he was picky when choosing. We were so aware of the Lord’s blessing upon our time away, with things going very smoothly.

Yesterday I went into town on a ZimiJon motorbike. That was fun. I found more fabrics, sat a chatted to a friend I have made in the market and bought Phil Collins double disc album! I’m so chuffed! I also managed to play soccer last night. The one dayworker is really good; he was granted a trial at Sundowns but unfortunately never got to SA. I have encouraged him to apply at more clubs and welcomed him to stay should he come to CT.

I have been the minor job of a dental sterilist! I’m so excited to begin! I will only be able to work one day a fortnight, alternating weeks with Josh, but I think it will be an excellent experience.

I have decided not to give anything up for Lent this year since it would be, as I have normally done, a religious act for me. I haven’t felt the Lord ask me to sacrifice anything and feel content not to.

Working in the galley means washing hands regularly with soap that my skin does not much like. I have developed a few eczema type rashes on my hands and arms and they are not given the time to recover due to my schedule. The rashes itch and become further aggravated. I have asked that an alternative, more skin friendly soap be employed as another option and it looks possible. Could you please pray for my skins recovery and that I would not have to resort to cortisone. Thank you,

 The Ship Pool
 Church in Kpalime (Emma, Josh and Julie)
 Bafana Bafana Hotel (apparently not a very comfortable stay)
 Two children walking past the YWAM (Jeunesse en Mission) sign
 View from the base before the storm
 The 'inside' the outdoor church
 Along the mountain path, Julie and Josh
 Taken from the taxi on the highway on our return
 Our driver and his dinner
 The Africa Mercy yesterday afternoon
 My Toms!
My very fake but good value album

Love ben

No comments:

Post a Comment