Thursday, February 9, 2012


Blog 4 (09/02)

So much seems to happen in just a week that I have taken to making notes on my ipod as I go. Luckily and surprisingly much rest and peace making has been achieved!

The weekend-off allowed me to finally choose a fabric for my tailored suit as well as play some sport. I was quite particular in my fabric taste; I was looking for a mixture of African design and colours with Western symbols. Even the girls I went with were tiring by the end of my second visit to the market! As for the exercise, on Friday night about three Land rovers full will go to a near field for Ultimate Frisbee. It was seriously fun… I enjoyed it more than I did when I’d play on camps and such years ago. I did end up on the losing side but it was close!

On Saturday morning I was lucky enough to join in a group going to an orphanage. The 40 children there just want to be held or to sit on your lap. They were so entertained by the disk that turns around my watch as well as the backlight. I enjoyed spending time with them and will definitely try and go again!

I went out for a local meal on Saturday night with two friends and a West African crewmember. Fufu is a starchy white and sticky lump that you dip into your selected curry-like stew. I had fish but there was also beef, goat and what looked like spinach with a snotty texture.  I enjoyed the sauce and the Fufu to begin with but I ended up just eating the sauce alone as the texture and taste of the Fufu became to much. We ate with out hands so we were given soap and a bucket to wash our hands! I enjoyed this part. It was also only about R20 a head.

On Monday night some of us walked to the popular Seaman’s Club- my first time. It’s a chilled-out bar area and hotel just outside the port. We were celebrating a friend Bronte’s 19th birthday. A Georgian (the Eastern European country) sailor asked me if he could join our group and I asked the birthday girl who said it was fine. This guy was a real sea dog. He barely spoke English but insisted on buying wine for the table and toasting every few minutes. First to God, then to female health and lastly to Bronte, whom he called beautiful because he simply kept forgetting her name. I felt bad for being the one who said he seemed like an alright guy and that he would keep good company. Thankfully after my insistence that he quietens down and doesn’t smoke he left for the bar where he sat alone. He did return, however, with a bunch of flowers about 60cm tall for Bronte so I didn’t feel too bad anymore!

This week the first patients arrived for surgery so the galley began preparing African meals. The day staff make these and the galley becomes a bit more hectic! The food is really good. Most of the galley team opted for this lunch over ours.

I had two of my best meals aboard this week. The first was Mexican night which meant tortillas- with all the toppings! And the other was a Thai green curry. There is a fair amount of spicy food, which I really enjoy.

Last night, yet again, soccer practise did not happen. All the players were seated around the Ghana v Zambia match (Ghana’s loss hopefully means soccer will now happen again). I did manage to go on an unofficial engine room tour last night which was quite amazing. It is really hot and loud down there, I prefer the galley!

Today, after being sick of remaining on the ship due to the lack of people to go out with (the downside of weekdays off), I managed to eek out three people to join me on a cycle along the coast. The ship has a couple of really bad bikes but we managed to find four that could hold air. Breaks were a luxury. I thought I had fixed the front ones on Elise’s bikes but apparently not. While being aware of this she unfortunately could not avoid riding into a young girl carrying sugar and doughnuts for sale. Both Elise and the girl fell to the ground and all the goods scattered the sandy pavement. This and our slow pace somewhat ended the hope of trekking 10km to the Ghana border. We found a cool place, with colourful birds in cages, for cool drinks and then headed back. There was a nice breeze so it wasn’t too hot. I’ll include a picture I took along the way so you can get an idea of the landscape.

Otherwise I am reading in the lounge or on deck in my ample time off. I am determined, however, not to waste any and will jump at any opportunity to explore the city.
I also talked to my family for the first time since arriving this past week. I really enjoyed that; my two hours talk time just flew!

Tonight in our community meeting we watched a film about corruption. I found it quite emotional seeing how bad it is but also the potential for deterioration at home. I am looking forward to hopefully contributing to the discussion during part two of the talk on Sunday evening.

Thank you to those who contributed wisdom, advice and prayers to me over this past week. I have recently started reading a book by Joseph Prince that is most timely and so far very helpful. Thank you aunty Les and uncle Trevor for this last minute gift!

I do have a new request! I have been feeling pressure, uncertainty and fear regarding my studying next year and beyond. Before leaving, medicine, God-willing, was my first option. Now I feel as though anything else would be a disappointment but also that I might not meet the requirements. The long wait of uncertainty (until January 2013) also causes me anxiety. Please pray peace over this matter.

Thank you again for your prayers and support. And for reading this as well!
(this hasn't been proof read)cLove ben

No comments:

Post a Comment