Friday, August 17, 2012

The last of Tenerife

Taken at the Cross on the hill. Africa Mercy behind.

Im sorry there are few images on the blog, so far. The internet has prevented me uploading them. Il try and get the rest up asap!
Blog 22
At sea once again! What a privilege and surprise to look out the window in the morning (not in my cabin!) and to see the ocean. Sliding to and fro on the office chair while typing this is only a minor inconvenience of sailing. We did sail a day later than hoped but I gather that we are still due in Conakry on the 22 August, next Wednesday.  I am so looking forward to reconnecting with a few day workers from Togo and to enjoy West Africa!
In the past week I have become friends with a beautiful Tenerife family. About two weeks ago a couple stopped and talked to a group of us Mercy Shippers and expressed interest to be visitors aboard as they were 3 years ago when the ship went to the Canary Islands. I took Jorge’s email address and contacted him a few days later. Last Thursday I hosted him, his wife Candela and their young daughter Chloe.  We ate dinner and I showed them around the ship- they both speak English very well. I soon discovered that they are both doctors. Candela specialized in radiology and Jorge did translating instead- he speaks 4 languages! Before leaving on their bicycle and long board skateboard, they gave me a CD of Jorge’s old band, the first album of four. Thankfully it’s in English!
On Saturday they invited friends and me for breakfast at their apartment- about 3kms away. Sam, Michelle and I went and were treated to such a delicious and healthy spread of food. Scrambled eggs, organic bread and croissants, local preserves and goat’s cheese. These were followed by organic cakes.  We were so spoilt! We relaxed around their beautiful coffee table books- which I am now determined to find- and then hurried back to work at 1. 
On Monday I went to a fairly local black sand beach on the island’s north coast with this family. I was fortunate in having Monday and Tuesday off- before our Wednesday scheduled departure. As seems to be popular in Spain, visits to the beach are made in the late afternoon- after the heat of midday. I also met family friends Xavier and Ann, who speaks about 7 languages! We had to hurry home for Chloe who needed to get to bed and we said our farewells from their apartment.
I missed dinner that night as I had had a special and big curry meal for lunch. Friends Hannah and Michelle and I had heard of an Indian man who makes curries and serves them from his apartment. We went there and were the only ones, when we left there were about ten more patrons and a queue! We were served about   6 bowls of different curries, plus a started and dessert. All for a very reasonable 7 euros- especially considering that ‘menu of the day’s go for about 9 euros and Indian restaurants are in short supply.
I was very pleased that despite working the last weekend, I managed to do a fair amount. On Saturday night as Sam and I were walking out of the port- heading for a cross on the mountain, Juan’s taxi from the airport arrived. We accompanied him back to the ship and then headed out to the cross. It turned out to be quite the walk in the end and we arrived at dusk. It was beautiful up there and we had a good view of the ship. We then walked into town for ice creams/sandwiches/cool drinks/smoothies- depending on our hunger. 
On Sunday I was able to run to a pebble beach, have a quick swim and then run back for work. I actually ended up being team leader for a few more days since Josh worked on the other team for a few days. He worked with our team on Wednesday and Thursday.
On Monday and Tuesday mornings I enjoyed breakfast in town and going around historical sites and a beautiful public resource center as well as looking for a few last items. I also went out on Tuesday night for what was potentially our last night in Tenerife. With the Olympic closing ceremony on Sunday and other late nights such as these, I was pretty exhausted after working Wednesday and yesterday. Unusual for me, I slept in very late today, even missing lunch!
The last days in Tenerife cantilevered into farewells to friends, welcomes to returning or new crew and many good memories. The time in the Canary Islands was very special and a blessing. I am however, ready to return to field service, wanting to do my best and much in the four weeks I will have.
Thank you for your time in reading this. Could you please pray for the safe travels of all those to Conakry: the ship, day workers and crew.
Hannah, Michelle and me after curry lunch

Jorge, Candela, Chloe and me

Jorge's first album (still trying to add more photos!)


The Santiago Cross we walked to

Our Curry Buffet

Me, Jorge, Candela, Chloe and family friend, Ann.




Goodbye Tenerife!

Bollullo black sand beach


The dolphin show at Loro Parque

Breakfast at the Serrano family. they gave me a tub of goats cheese when we left!

Rox, Chris, Henry and me at Loro Parque
 Blessings,
Ben

No comments:

Post a Comment