Saturday, August 4, 2012

Two weeks on

Blog 21
Two weeks pass so quickly aboard Africa Mercy. These past two weeks brought 40 new long term crew members from Texas, just finished with their Gateway course and great times inside and out of work hours.
About 12 days ago we returned to the galley which has new tilt skillets, stoves and other kitchen equipment. Although some work remained to be done on the deck heads (ceilings) we had to return to be able to cater for the increasing crew size. Our time in the crew galley was not unpleasant and often there was less work than there were people.
 Breakfast for dinner scones
 Brian's (center of bench) farewell at a Gelato Cafe. The photographer insisted we say 'Sex' instead of cheese
 Honey Orange walnut bread :)
 A monument on the way to the beach this morning
The group that I watched the Olympics opening ceremony (very good - I thought) with.  

Last weekend Chef Ken went on leave, leaving me with more responsibility and freedom. Sunday morning breakfast was fun as we were able to bake the bacon (not deep fry!) and see how well-done people like it. Turns out it is not, in fact, dark brown and fragile. We baked figs wrapped in bacon (thanks for the idea, Dad!) and fried mushrooms with garlic to go beyond the usual Sunday cooked breakfast.
On Monday I took a bus to Siam Water Park with some friends. Siam is a great water park with a variety of tube slides of different intensity. We went on one which allowed for four to share a life-raft-y tube and be propelled high up a steepening wall. I also went down a very steep one where the slide passes through the shark tank. Sadly due to the speed and the water, one cannot see a thing! It was a long and tiring day out, but very enjoyable.
On Wednesday a menu change meant that our team was to make pizza for dinner. Pizza, as I have mentioned in another blog, is a tiresome and time consuming task. Other than the crew favourites BBQ Chicken, Margarita, Ham and Olives, Pepperoni and vegetarian pizzas, I decided to add a Cajun Sea food and Pesto chicken on a mayo base to the menu. Both of these were well received  J On Thursday we had the interesting opportunity of serving ‘Breakfast for Dinner’.  As the day was winding down, our new team leader came and introduced himself. His name is Josh and he arrived with the Gateway group. He will be here for at least the next 2 years. I am looking forward to working under him.
This morning I ran 10km to a beach North of Santa Cruz where I had my packed breakfast, read and swam. Afterward I walked back to the ship. I am enjoying my running a lot, especially with the iPod running sleeve which arrived two weeks ago along with other items I had ordered online. I now know much more information about my runs.
On Monday the ship needs to undergo an Inclining Experiment so 90% of the crew is being taken to an animal park called Loro Parque. After that we are even being taken out for dinner. Essentially this means that I have a 4 day weekend. J
So far, despite being somewhat homesick after dad left, I am having a great time here. On the 15th we should leave for Guinea. I do miss West Africa and can’t wait to return there and see a new country, new day workers as well as those from Togo who will be serving for this field service as well. Please pray that my last 2 months might be as blessed and enjoyable as the first 6.
Love Ben

No comments:

Post a Comment